Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Vegan BBQ "Meatloaf" Bake

by La’Shon Cannon-Robinson


Meatloaf has always been a traditional family meal that my grandmother and my mom have been making since I was a child. My grandmother used ground beef to make her meatloaf and my mom used ground turkey—today as the prodigy of this family and proud Vegan, I have set a new meatloaf family tradition.

Vegan BBQ meatloaf is my legacy and my choice of ground is Boca Ground Crumbles which is completely meatless, still using BBQ sauce instead of ketchup that my mom always used on her ground turkey version.

This is a nice comfort meal to serve during the holiday times or Sunday dinner. I usually add cayenne paper to make it spicy and jerk seasoning to give it that extra kick. Nice side items that I serve with my meatloaf are vegan mashed potatoes and gravy and steamed broccoli. This is definitely a meal that you will love because I sure do!

Vegan BBQ "Meatloaf" Bake

Prep Time: 10 min
Total Time: 45 min
Makes: 6 servings
1 pkg. (12 oz.) frozen BOCA Ground Crumbles
1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/2 cup cholesterol-free egg product
1/2 cup Annie's Naturals Organic BBQ Sauce
1/4 cup ketchup

MICROWAVE crumbles in medium microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1-1/2 min. Add all remaining ingredients except ketchup; mix lightly. Let stand 5 min.

SHAPE into loaf in 9-inch pie plate; top with ketchup.

BAKE 35 min. or until center is done (160ºF).

BOCA KITCHEN TIPS

Substitute
Substitute 2 beaten eggs for the egg product.

Variation
Divide meat mixture in half; shape each half in miniature loaf pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake as directed.

NUTRITION INFORMATION

Nutrition Bonus:
The BOCA Ground Crumbles in this meatless low-fat entree are a good source of fiber and iron.

Diet Exchange:
1-1/2 Starch,1 Meat (L)

No comments:

Post a Comment